hour long seminar introduces children to publishing as a business.
This works as a stand alone program as well as a supplement to
any existing publishing day program. Students work together to establish
an imaginary publishing company and choose a title to publish.
learn the parts of a book as well as the basics of publishing
including ISBN numbers, copyright, and basic book marketing principles.
program is designed primarily for 4th-6th graders but can be
adjusted to fit any class between 1st grade through high school.
is designed to be presented to 4-6 classes of 20-30 students
each. This program is the first step towards the successful publication
of a book written by the students.
Only a limited number of programs can be scheduled during any school
year. Availability is on a first come first serve basis. Special
is given to schools targeted by the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001.
For more information call Ron Pramschufer at 1-800-621-2556.
Publishing Seminar (Basic outline)
45 minutes to 1 Hour
Class size – 20-30
Slide#1 -Introduction – 2
• Hand out blank books
Slide #2 -What is publishing? – 3 minutes
• Definition… and discussion
Slide #3 -Pick a name for the publishing company – 8 minutes
• Discuss the pros and cons of the various suggestions
• Vote on a name
• Write the name on the title page of the blank book
Slide #4 -ISBN number – 2 minutes
Slide #5 -Pick a title
to publish – 15 Minutes
• Selecting a first title is the most important decision a publisher
makes. You write for love… you publish for money. Publishing
is a business.
• Discuss the pros and cons of each title from a list of 10 possible
• Vote - Add title to blank book
Slide #6 –Copyright – 2 minutes
• Definition and discussion
Slide #7 –Publishing Quick Math – 2 minutes
• Retail Price minus the cost of production and the cost of sales equals
Slide #8 –Cost of Sales – 10 minutes
• The demo slide shows a gloomy picture for the publisher. Discuss
ways to increase profit:
Slide #9 –BJB Logo -
• Parts of a book and the printing process – Time Remaining
more information call:
51 East 42nd Street, Suite 1202
New York, NY 10017